Director of Fitness and Sales
Qualified applicants please send a resume and cover letter to Dustin Chovanic at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Fitness Director is responsible for the organization, management, administration and supervision of all aspects of Georgia Fitness Center. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following: recruiting, hiring, training, scheduling, troubleshooting, evaluating and completing payroll for fitness instructors; updating staff training materials, operating manuals; assisting with developing, adjusting and enforcing policies and procedures; budget management; equipment inventory and maintenance, including health and safety checks; overseeing risk management practices; keeping and compiling ongoing patron usage statistics; providing instruction and outreach, orientation sessions.
The Director will also be expected to collaborate with all GA Fitness employees to assist with fitness programming outreach within the community as well as demonstrate active engagement in selling and promoting Georgia Fitness’s unique training programs. This position will require varied hours. Night and weekend hours will be required at various times throughout the year.
1. Recruit, Hire, Train, Manage, and Evaluate Fitness Staff
- Selection and orientation of Fitness Instructors
- Supervise recruitment efforts and staff selection process ensuring fair and efficient operations. Recruit new employees.
- Update job descriptions as needed
- Fit staffing needs into budgetary constraints of program Fitness Center Staff training and supervision
- Develop and operate the systems, policies and procedures directly related to fitness center operations
- Manage and mentor
- Plan and conduct ongoing training and development programs for Instructors
- Prepare written materials to educate and train staff and to assist with patron orientation
- Communicate regularly with FC staff about important issues, program needs and evolving policies and procedures
- Manage monthly programming in consideration of gym trends throughout the year.
- Prepare reports regarding member usage patterns
- Recommend purchases of equipment and supplies, and a long-term equipment replacement plan
- Interface professionally and positively with vendors regarding any licensing and equipment
- Maintain accurate purchase and service records
- Assist with customer relations as needed
- Provide an effective safety/risk management program and procedures for emergency care of participants; schedule training/certification classes in CPR/First Aid for employees; and conduct safety inspections of facilities and activities
- Monitor budget on ongoing basis
3. Instruction and Outreach
- Develop and coordinate fitness programs in conjunction with current and future gym needs
- Provide Fitness Center orientation sessions (instruction on correct and appropriate use of equipment) for patrons at regular intervals and varied times throughout the year, with emphasis at beginning of semesters
- Prepare and teach assigned Group Fitness classes
- Perform other duties as assigned or needed
- (Preferred) Bachelor's Degree in exercise physiology, kinesiology, human performance management, recreation, health, or related field with a strong emphasis in health and fitness required or comparable experience required.
- Current certification in group fitness from a nationally recognized fitness organization (e.g., AFAA, ACSM, ACE, NCSA) or other national certification in personal training
- Experience with fitness equipment usage procedures and maintenance plans
- Strong computer skills required with MS Office software and basic website capabilities
- Certification by American Red Cross in Adult CPR and First Aid required within one month of hire
- Must be a self starter and demonstrate initiative when unsupervised
- Strong oral and written communication skills required
- 1-2 years experience hiring, training, scheduling, evaluating and supervising fitness
- Requires physical effort such as lifting of at least 50 lbs, reaching with hands and arms, stooping, kneeling, crouching, standing, walking, balancing, and climbing.
- While performing the duties of the job, the employee is regularly required to talk and/or hear.